"And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." (D&C 84:88)

Monday, March 24, 2014

"Barbie is in my house!"

Inline image 2
First of all, isn't this just the cutest thing?? ^^ I love the kids here!! They are my favorite thing about the Philippines!  The little girl in this picture is adorable!  We taught her mother, Deseree and when I walked in, she just squealed and said that Barbie was in her house!! haha And the entire lesson she just played with my hair haha I can't complain :)  I still am a freak-show to everyone every day here, haha People will stop me on the street and ask for pictures with them.  These guys wanted pictures with me haha and my companion took one too.

Inline image 1

Little Arzee, a 10-11 year old kid, was also sneaking pictures of me during our lesson to his family. haha.  Seriously..I have never felt so disgusting in my life, but at the same time, I have never felt so beautiful.  

I meet the coolest and weirdest people every day! haha An old man the other day came up and grabbed my arm and was so excited to talk to me!  I could tell he was a little off, haha but I spoke to him in my broken Tagalog and he was just so happy! haha Aand then he pulled out a paper bag and showed me his impressive drug stash hahaha, but he was so friendly and just excited to talk! ha But I was laughing so hard afterwards.

The people here are amazing though!  One of our investigators, Fernando, is this quiet old man that runs a little market shop.  He is a heavy smoker, and at first wasn't very responsive when he was first taught, but recently with our lessons, he has become to be engaged and interested. and he has been searching through the Book of Mormon and reading and asking so many questions, it is just so incredible to witness it. I am so excited for him. 

Oh and Laura is a member missionary in the ward. and at FHE the other night, she was sitting next to me. And I just commented on her bracelet and told her it was beautiful.  And she just smiled and then suddenly took it off and gave it to me!! I was like oh, no, no, no. It's yours! But she insisted and wouldn't let me give it back! She told me to remember her with the bracelet. I didn't know what to do! I am just amazed with these people!  They see something that you like and that makes you happy so they GIVE it to you. Even if it's off their own back.  And they literally have nothing. They are poor as poor. But they are willing to give you everything to make you happy.  

So we are teaching these three women--Sis. Ruth, Sis. Wendy and Sis. Aiza.  Sis. Wendy's husband died and Sis. Aiza's husband left her.  So Sis. Ruth has been keeping them around with their kids close with their family.  Anyway they are amazing people.  And we've been teaching them and Sister Wendy is the most receptive-- she has been coming to church!  But they are all interested in the gospel.  But we just found out that other Born-again missionaries have been visiting them too haha what?? But they said they don't really like them to come over, but they like it when we come--they like our message--it feels different. yayy! And Sis. Ruth's husband is really busy.  He leaves for a week and works over in Cavite and then comes home on Sunday for a bit and then leaves for work again.  So we had the opportunity to teach him last Sunday!  Aand he was kind of quiet and didn't really say anything so I didn't think he was interested...but the other day we were talking to Sis. Ruth and she said that she's never seen her husband like that.  When the other missionaries would come he would find an excuse to leave or busy himself with something else.  But with us he stayed and listened and though he was quiet--afterwards he told his wife that he likes us and wants to hear more.  Miracles are happening every day :)

So my companion has been sick this week so we haven't been able to work as much as I'd like. So I've been watching church videos while she rests. And ah, I watched the Legacy. And mom! I think you look like the main girl on that movie haha especially when you were a kid and it shows when she was a kid--I was like..that looks like mom! :) 

So we live near this big stadium/arena thing.  And I never knew what it was for. Well the other day while we were at a lunch appointment...I could hear tons of people screaming and yelling in the distance....I was like whoa..what is going on?? And they told me it was cock fighting. hahah That huge arena is for cock fights. haha so crazy!  I love the Philippines.

Oh there is an Elder Oyler in my mission!! yeah!  He's not in my area, but the missionaries keep asking me if I know him and I saw his picture and name up in the mission home. haha I've never met another Oyler before that wasn't in our family and here one is in my mission! haha weird.

Okay. You might not believe this...but I GOT COLD!! yeah. haha
Inline image 3
In McDonalds there is actually a/c!! haha and it was blowing right on me and I got goosebumps I was so cold!! haha I was so happy though! I was like ahh!! I forgot what it feels like to be cold!!

So I've been making "American food" for the kabahays. ha French toast was a success. But I attempted quesadillas...and they were alright. But the cheese here....is just not right. It is not normal cheese haha so I wasn't a huge fan, but the other sisters....LOVED IT!! They are obesessed with quesadillas now haha and my "American food"---which if you think about it..none of those things are really American ha :)

I am a huge klutz though. and I know you already know. haha Well I knocked an entire carton of eggs out of the fridge and ALL of them cracked and spilled all over the floor.  Go me.  And I dropped a glass bottle of cinnamon....shattered.  Cinnamon and glass all over the floor. That was fun to clean up.  haha Oh and here we use baby powder to help with all the sweat. Anyway I was putting some on my face and dropped a handful of baby powder in my eye. haha I was like running around blindly freaking out hahaa oh dear.

So down below us in our apartment, is a random guy from Australia who married a Filipino. Anyway he is kind of scary though.  He and his wife will get in fights---no literally like physical fights.  We hear them sometimes and it's kind of sad..they have a small child too.  Anyway he swears like a sailor. Drops the f bomb all day long and speaks English so I understand all his vulgarness when others don't haha. The other night the fighting was getting kind of bad and the barangay (police people) had to come haha We look off our ledge and this mob of people with bats comes in our apartment area we were like....oh boy. haha But things worked out.  I think they are moving us into another apartment though.. because our contract is about to expire. But I like our aparment...there aren't any scary bugs....ahh.

Well, yesterday we contacted a referral and visited Cornelio and Rodrigo.  Two men in their 20's or 30's. Anyway, I was kind of skeptical at first when we went in...they didn't seem very interested and there were pictures of half-naked white women all over their walls sooo the spirit wasn't really there.   But I wanted so badly for them to be able to truly hear our message so as my companion was speaking I just started praying so hard.  I just wanted the spirit to be there and for them to feel it and for me to actually be able to speak to them so that they could understand. ...When it was my turn to say something...I opened my mouth and ....I don't really remember what I said..but I remember we suddenly got into a good discussion with them.  And they perked up and Cornelio started asking a lot of questions.  They were both Catholic--like EVERYONE here--but they were so interested...and Rodrigo was quiet but he was listening really intently and seemed to feel something.  They work construction and are really busy but we have a return appointment with them next Sunday.

Okay well, I'm going to wrap up now.  I just want to say how much I love all of you!! I miss you all so much! But I love it here.  Everyone keeps telling me that they are surprised that I'm not really having much culture shock--and I am too!! haha I know I'm being so very blessed, and like I said last week, I feel like I've come home. Thank you for your prayers! Ii am praying for you all day every day!! mahal na mahal ko kayo!!!!

xoxo
Sister Oyler
 

No comments:

Post a Comment