"And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." (D&C 84:88)

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Transfers and Typhoons..​.kaso lang isang linggo ng mga himala!

Hello, hello, hello :)  This week has just been full of miracles. Transfers are this week too!  I still can't believe how fast the time goes out here on the mission.  On the 29th I'll hit my 6-month mark in the mission!...WHATTTTT????!  Me and Sister Lopez said that we are going to do something to celebrate our first trimester...it sounds like we're pregnant. Hah.

Anyway, I'm not getting transferred though! Which was expected since I haven't been here for very long.  And luckily, Sister Acostan is staying too!  I'm so grateful!  

Also, just to let you know, there is a typhoon headed towards us right now...apparently it's supposed to hit later today.  We aren't aloud to work today, just email and then go back home.  Schools are all cancelled...I don't know how big it will end up being.  We'll see!

My Tagalog is coming along really well...of course it's hard to notice the progression every day, but I realized as I was reading through my journal from the first few days in the Philippines, how much I was struggling understanding what people were saying.  But now as I sit here in the computer shop, I understand every word of what people are saying around me.  Also, I had someone tell me the other day that I have no "slang".  Which means I don't have an American accent.  They said I sounded like a native Filipina when I talk. That was like the hugest compliment to me!  I'm so happy and know that I'm being so blessed with the language.  And Sister Acostan told me one morning that she thinks the reason why my Tagalog is so good is because I have Language Study while I sleep.  Haha, I was like, what??  Then she told me that I sleep talk in Tagalog every night!! Haha poor thing, I feel so bad. 

So we finally caught the mouse that was in our house!  Haha, I was getting so sick of him, so I finally went out and bought these little "traps". They were little trays of this really sticky gooey stuff...so we set em up and put some cheese on them.  I kid you not, 10 minutes later, Sister Sanders was like, "Hey! We got him!" haha so fast.  If I could get online and find these little trap things on Amazon, I'd give em a 5-star rating. Ha!  We also ended up catching 3 little geckos too...haha poor guys. I like them.  AND they eat the cockroaches...so they need to stay. Haha.

So Sister Lopez told us a something that I think is sooo funny!!  They have been teaching one of their investigators for the past 3 weeks.  And she was "golden".  She was so progressing and had a baptismal date and they were so excited about her.  Then they found out....that she is actually a member of the church already and has amnesia!! Haha, what?? She told them one day..."So...my daughter told me that I'm a member of your church."  Haha they looked it up, and sure enough, she had already been baptized years ago, she just has amnesia and forgot that she was LDS.  Haha!

So, Sunday this week, was a miracle day. Recently....I've been analyzing my faith...and I've discovered really how much I was lacking. Just in the simple things....I didn't expect our investigators to be home...I didn't expect them to want to come to church...of course we had hope, of course we still tried, but because of the many times of rejection and excuses, I discovered that I had let my faith weaken.  That I just expected no progression...and that's exactly what we got.  But I've learned something amazing about this work; yes, people still do have their agency, but things won't happen just according to their faith, but according to MINE as well. And Sunday, I had a little re-evaluation of my faith.  I was tired of my lack of faith, I was tired of being disappointed, I was tired of having no energy, I was tired of being tired!!  I don't know exactly what happened, but Sunday morning, I just had a boost of energy and renewed faith and I had a feeling that it was going to be a great day.

We walked outside and headed towards the house of Lani and Albert--a new investigator couple with a little 1-year-old boy, Prince. They had told us that they would come to church.  When we got closer to their bahay, we saw that their door was shut (which usually isn't the case here in the Philippines) and without realizing it, I already started to doubt.  Of course I still had hope; I still wanted them to come, but I started thinking, "last week, they said they'd come and they didn't. They probably won't come today either."   But then I stopped myself.  No. Where is my faith?  They WILL come. They are probably getting ready right now.  Of course they will come to church.  And you know what?  They came.

Another miracle...earlier that morning, I had remembered that it was Tatay Reuben's birthday!  One of our new investigators we had just met the other day.  We decided to drop by and wish him a Happy Birthday.  He was happy to see us, and right before we left I said, "Hey we'll see you at church later, right?"  He said that he'd be there!  And you know what?....I believed him.  I said to myself,  He'll come.
To be honest, I kind of forgot about Tatay as we were focused on Lani and Albert's church experience.  But after sacrament meeting ended, I stood up and turned around and guess who was sitting behind us?? Tatay! He came!

And right as I'm standing in the sacrament hall, trying to give attention to Tatay, and Lani, and Albert...someone else came up to me.  He was a recently-returned missionary, Christian, from another ward, but he had brought a non-member friend to our church who lives in our area.  Her name was Kris.  He had given her the Lesson 1 pamphlet and she had already read through it and prayed.  When I met her, she shook my hand so happily and asked how soon we could come teach her!  I was so happy!! 
I accompanied her through the rest of church.  She's 23 and gorgeous!  So as I started talking to her, I couldn't believe that she had been a chain-smoker, drinking all the time, everything.  She works at a call center and felt so lonely..no parents and surrounded by fake friends.  She even bought a dog so that she could kind of have somebody to talk to.  But then Christian got hired at her work...and he started to help her. He really listened to her.  Was a friend that actually cared.  He helped her quit smoking!!  And now she's coming to church and said she feels something different here. And that the people here treat you like family.  She feels peace and likes it.
I was so excited for her!  After church, we went directly over to her house and taught her.  It was a wonderful lesson, she is so prepared!  And Rocky, a recent convert, came with us.  Rocky just got baptized in April.  She's the bomb.  And it was just amazing to watch the friendship between Rocky and Kris.  They just clicked.  There was a moment during the lesson where they were both joking and laughing together like they had been best friends for years.  God's hand is definitely in this work.  It's beautiful to see.

We also got to teach Ricky again later that night.  We were surprised that after our powerful lesson last week, he didn't come to church...and we didn't get to follow-up with him until after church again this last Sunday.  Our lesson was awesome though.  We taught about Joseph Smith and watched the Restoration DVD. The Spirit was so strong!  and again, he's just so awesome.  One of the members, Brother Chun (he's seriously the best), came with us for the lesson and is an awesome fellowshipper for him. And Ricky shared with us that he feels so happy.  Before...he said he was surrounded by all the luxuries in the world, but he would go to bed unhappy.  Now...even though he has very little...he goes to bed with a smile on his face.  His eyes were just full of light as he looked at me and said he is starting to find true joy. 

These are the moments that make it all worth it.

Oh and Ricky is such a little missionary, it's so funny! He said that someone came to his house for help and advice and he started sharing about his faith with them.  Haha..he said he told them he was LDS and started sharing with them about Faith and reading the scriptures, etc. He said they asked him how long he'd been a member and he said, "Oh I'm just new", but he went on about how much he loves his church.  Sister Acostan and I looked at each other like....huh??  Hahaha, I guess that just means he'll for sure be baptized, right? Hahaha. RICKY IS AWESOME! He just needs to come to church, gosh dang it. Haha. 

Well, again, I'm running out of time, but I can't even tell you how much I am loving it here.  I am so excited for the progression and work that is starting.  It's hard, but SO worth it!  Thank you all for everything you do!  I miss you so much!  Stay safe and happy.  Keep enjoying summer!

Gustong gusto ko ang mission ko talaga! Napapasalamat ako para sa pakakataong ito na maglingkod ng mga tao dito at tulungan sila na magkaroon isang kaalaman tungkol sa Tagapaglitas nila.  Magandang maganda talaga.  Hindi kong mapaliwanag. 
MAHAL NA MAHAL KO KAYO!

Sister Oyler

No comments:

Post a Comment