"And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." (D&C 84:88)

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Another week.....sorry lame subject line :)

Kamusta!!

It was so good to see the family last week when we skyped!! Ah, mis na mis ko kayo talaga. But it's so good to see how well everyone is doing. aaaand....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LANDON!!  Ah, I was bummed when we couldn't email yesterday, because then I would have been able to email on Landon's birthday :( But happy birthday anyway, bud! MAHAL KITA! I sent you a birthday card but it probably hasn't reached home yet, so just be waiting :)  I actually bought everyone in the family a birthday card while I was still in the MTC so I could have something to send you when I'm out here haha. 

So yesterday we had CSP (community service project). So we changed our P-day to Tuesday.  We actually got to help clean this elementary school right across the street from our chapel.  I guess the students here in the Philippines just finished their summer break and they will be going back to school soon.  So be grateful that you're now ending school haha! I think they just ended back in April and they start again in June. Sayang... but as we were cleaning their little library... I noticed that a lot of the books were like American books from the 40's and 50's. And then I noticed a stamp that said that they were donated from America.  So everyone...take care of your school books! Because they might get donated to places like here :)  And the ones we were cleaning were in really bad shape. 

So, I feel bad when we skyped, that I didn't speak much Tagalog.  haha I promise I know Tagalog :) people tell me I have the gift of tongues dito sa pilipinas and I believe them. I'm being so blessed.  So after we skyped, I was like....man they probably think I know nothing. haha :) 

Well, on Sunday, I gave a talk in our sacrament meeting...haha whaaat?? yeah I was so scared. But actually, it went really, really well. The topic was "how missionary work has brought be closer to the Savior".  It ended up being a powerful talk, things that I wasn't expecting and lot's of people thanked me for it. 

So, we had a District Meeting last week where we ate on saging (banana) leaves. you'll see pictures when I send em. but one of the elders brought Tostitos!! and homemade salsa. I was like yesss!! I haven't had Tostitos in forever haha. In Puregold (the grocery center here) there is an "Imported Section" with a bunch of stuff from America haha but it's all expensive so I never buy any of it. But he brought Tostitos and I got excited haha.

So in the pictures, when I reference "apostasiya" and "restoration" haha it's slang dito sa mission talking about our support.  So we get support (money) every 15 days and sometimes, towards the end of the time period...us missionaries start running out of money haha and we call it "apostasiya". Tapos, when someone checks the BPI (atm) and finds out we have support--there's always a text that goes around notifiying everyone that we have restoration! haha anyway, hiyahay ang buhay ng missionaires :)

Also in the pictures, you'll see these girls all dressed up fancy in princess dresses.  There was a parade called Santa Cruzan I think, that was in our Barangay. So maraming little girls and even teenager and girls in their 20's dressed up--maganda sila! And they were in a parade and people held lights next to them as they walked and shot off fireworks, and a band played. haha it was cool. There are festivals that happen around here a lot, with bands and parades and fireworks.  It's fun :)

So recently, it's been kind of a struggle for me in ways. We haven't been seeing much progression in this area. And one day last week, we were getting punted, and punted. (Our appointments were falling through). And before, it was easy for us to have a member to work with us because Lara would always be there.  But now she's gone on her mission, and it has been a struggle finding members to work with us.  We had a couple of lessons with some of our male investigators that we had to postpone because we couldn't find another girl to come with us. Overall, our investigators haven't been progressing very fast, and things aren't going really well.

So here we were...7 at night...walking down the road after just being punted. And I started to get really frustrated. I could tell Sister Soliven was down...and I started to wonder what I was doing wrong?  This is my first and only area....but I've been here for 2 months and I haven't really accomplished anything amazing.  People in the ward keep commenting that I haven't had any baptisms yet.  I am trying my hardest, but what am I doing wrong because the work is almost dead here.  And I started to let Satan convince me that I am not a good missionary.  And I know success isn't measured in baptisms or any numbers for that matter..I know that missionaries can have different roles...some plant the seed, some nourish investigators, and some reap in the harvest.  But I still had overwhelming thoughts of inadequacy and failure...

Well, we got back to the apartment. And we knelt in a companionship prayer. We both were burdened down and we pleaded for help from Heavenly Father.  And as we closed, and I began my personal prayer...I just poured out my soul to my Father in Heaven.  And I told him that I don't know what to do. I need Him to guide me. I want to bring these children back home.  I want to help them see, help them understand, but I don't know how.  I need Him.  And I need the Spirit. I told him that I will give my all.  I am placing myself at His feet.  I will be the hands, I will be the mouth...but this is the Lord's work.  I will be the instrument...but I know that He needs to be at the head.  Heavenly Father knows these people...they are His children.  Help me...work through me, so that I may be able to bring them to him. Because right now...I am stuck, and I don't know how.

Suddenly, a quiet reassurance and peace filled my heart.  And I felt that everything was going to be okay.  I just need to trust in the Lord..in His timing, His will, His wisdom, and remember that this truly is His work.  Missionary work is hard.  There is a reason why it is called "work". Baptisms aren't just going to line up because I'm wearing a name tag. But I am doing the best I can..and that is all He asks of me.

I'm grateful for these things that I'm learning. I'm grateful for the tender mercies from the Lord every day. I'm grateful to be a missionary. And I'm grateful to know that this is not my work...this is His.  And that's comforting to know that He is in control. And even when I don't understand...it's okay, He does. He is working through me, whether I see it or not.

So I just remembered that I wanted to tell you about that lesson with recent convert Ryan Cruz.  I brought my journal today, so I'll tell you now. 
So Ryan is 16 and his whole family is Less Active but he just got baptized in October.  Well, we randomly decided to drop by and see how he was doing, and follow up on his praying, scripture study, etc.  And at first...it wasn't really going very well.  I think Sister Soliven came off a little intense and he was being silent.  and at first I didn't know what to do or say. The situation was getting awkward and tense and I was panicking inside because I didn't know what to do.  But then I just looked at Ryan.  and I prayed for the Spirit to give me utterance.  And suddenly, I was overwhelmed with the feelings of how much Heavenly Father loves Ryan.  And for a moment I could glimpse Ryan as our Father in Heaven sees him.  I was overcome with emotion and I began to cry.  And I testified to him of how much his Father in Heaven loves him. I testified and taught about a lot of things.  About prayer, and scripture reading...but it was different than I've ever taught.  Because I know that it was the Spirit speaking through me to Ryan. And he began to cry too. and Lara was with us and she bore a beautiful, tear-filled testimony that I could see touched him too.  And Sister Soliven shared a scripture from D&C and taught powerfully about it.  Ryan's entire countenance had changed.  And after we all knelt in a closing prayer and shook his hand to leave...he was sitting with a Book of Mormon in his hands with a little bit of a dazed look on his face. But he was smiling.  And there was a light in his eyes--a burning light that wasn't there when we first arrived.
I love this work.
There are miracles being worked.  And I'm just beginning to see how he uses me--uses all his missionaries--as his tools in working miracles through the Spirit.  It's beautiful.

Okay sorry, I am all out of time, but I want to say that I love you all!  And I'm loving it here!  I will email next week!  

hanggang muli!

Sister Oyler

No comments:

Post a Comment